IA

IA
This is ME

Friday, April 23, 2010

New Diagnosis

I can't believe this has finally happened.  I had all but given up on the possibility of a real diagnosis, of real answers.  I came to accept my life in the last few weeks.  I began writing my book again, determined not to let my illness, my lack of evidence, my irritation at doctors, keep me from telling my important story to others...hopefully to inspire them to never give up on themselves, as my family did not give up on me.

Then, after almost a week had past from my last round of blood work to test me for antibodies linked to autoimmune diseases, my Mom came back from HER appointment with OUR rheumatologist with tears in her eyes.  First I asked about her knee, convinced he told her some news about that she did not want to hear.  It was nothing about her...  She then told me that my blood work came back.  I automatically thought that she was upset because all my tests we negative once again.  I was wrong.  She said "you have lupus". 

I was shocked beyond belief and instantly flooded with an incredible amount of relief.  Not exactly the emotion most people feel when receiving such a diagnosis, but I have been misdiagnosed and basically called anxious and a little crazy for the past 10 years...so this was proof beyond a shadow of a doubt...in black and white.  The numbers and pattern were there.  It is definitely Systemic Lupus. 

It all makes sense.  Every symptom, every treatment that worked, and every treatment that didn't...it all makes sense.  The puzzle pieces have finally fit together and it wasn't nearly as complicated as the doctors once thought.  Now it is my chance to give what I have always wanted...HOPE to those who are out there still going through this nightmare of getting diagnosed!

No comments:

Post a Comment